Thursday, June 2, 2011

I Found A Treasure Chest In AZ

I found this beautiful rustic mahogany chest at a yard sale for $50.00.  I offered $25.00 and they took it.  I so scored.  It was in good condition, but had a couple of quirks that were not a big deal.



The top had a little separation going on from the molding on the end.  Some liquid nails and a few clamps did the trick for now.  If it starts to separate again, I'll throw the clamps back on it and some small wood screws through the molding piece and into the bottom of the chest lid.  The screws can be counter sunk with a special drill bit and you really won't see them.  Take it a step further and fill the screw holes with matching wood putty. Minwax, in the yellow cans, makes colored wood fillers.  Sharpies can work good as well.

I lightly oiled the chest with a furniture polish.  There are many products out there to do this.  I had a bottle of the pledge furniture polish and that worked fine.  It has been refreshed and I love my new treasure chest.


No comments:

Post a Comment